Thursday, December 25, 2008

Update: Happy Holidays!

I hope everyone managed to avoid getting stuck at the airport this Christmas?  Luckily, all of the Graham clan caught their connections in the nick of time and are cozy and warm in Calgary and Miami, as planned.  

We're in Huizhou with Andre and his in-laws, celebrating their first Christmas.  His wife Amelie/Cai Xia is in Canada doing her Masters right now (4.0 average - woo-hoo!) and celebrating with the Gallant clan in the Miramichi this year.  On this side of the ocean, Dre has gone all out, prepping a huge tree (a very convincing fake tree custom made for him by a friend with a Christmas tree factory) and organizing a gift exchange. He draws the line at Christmas carols, but we'll probably whip out some Christmas media at some point tonight - a holiday episode of the Simpsons or Futurama or maybe a viewing of Die Hard

Here is all of us in our festive glory:


back, from left to right: me, Pierre, Andre (Pierre's brother), Adam/A-tow and Michael (Andre's brothers-in-law), Michelle (Michael's girlfriend) front: Mr. and Mrs. Huang (Andre's mother- and father-in-law)


In spite of the straight faces in this picture they're actually a lively, happy, smiling bunch of friends and family and when we aren't busy drinking our 100th cup of tea, we practice saying "Merry Christmas" in each others languages and eating more of Mama Huang's gorgeous food.  

As I expected, I didn't get any Christmas cards/emails out this year,  so I'm going to have to be tacky and do it here until I get my act together: Have a safe and merry Christmas and Happy New Year :)


1 comment:

cc said...

Ok, no problems on not sending out the Christmas cards -- send dumplings and all will be forgiven! Merry Christmas! By the way ... I received and sent 97% less Xmas cards this year. Honestly - I think it's because I felt falsely connected to my 200 "close" (ahem) "Friends" on Facebook that there was no need, really, to actually put pen to paper. Yeah, I know: social media is the bomb. Not quite, which is why I've closed my Facebook account and plan to go the traditional route of handwriting letters. Like we used to do when you were overseas. Send an address when you get settled. I'll see if my hand still works. Have a great Canadian new year's in a day or so! Much love to you and Peej! XO.